Really, I'm with the Band!!

Words, musings and rantings of a woman who married the bass player!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Grabbed the bull by the horns and took a wild ride. Needless to say, my back hurts a little.

Friday, November 12, 2004

B-Girls Be Rockin On and On....

Last night I was flicking channels during a commercial and ran into the Beastie Boys on Conan O'Brien w/the human beat box, Doug E. Fresh. Needless to say, their performance was FRESH!!! They are so cutting edge/old school at the same time. They talked to Conan after their performance and they looked just like they looked back in the day. Puffy coats, baseball caps, Adidas. They look exactly the same. Except with grayer hair.

I love the Beastie Boys. I saw them in San Francisco a couple of months ago and it was the best concert I've seen, hands down. I didn't have much hope going in. The most recent record, is good, but it's no Hello Nasty. I also hadn't seen them live since their first tour in 1987. (Where a giant penis emerged from the center of the stage during their fight for your right to party encore and Public Enemy opened up for them). I've seen "the bands you loved in high school" in concert and usually they suck out loud. But the Beasties did not disappoint. They did their rap thing, then busted out the instruments and 3 piece powder blue polyester suits, circa 1975 or so and jammed. Then rapped more. Then snuck off stage and appeared in the balcony to do Intergalactic (which was only 3 rows away from where we were watching the show!!!!) Then dedicated sabotage to George W. The show was totally high energy. Everyone there was psyched. They played every song you wanted to hear from all their albums, not just their current one. They had a sing a long of Paul Revere. They rocked the house. It was awesome.

It's refreshing to see them doing so well. They haven't sold out. Which is hard in the music business. I mean, have you seen Henry Rollins doing spots on VH-1? What the fuck is that? The Beasties are political, aren't afraid or ashamed to bring issues to the forefront. But still have a sense of humor. I just love them.

They prove that everything from the 80's wasn't total crap. Everybody get down!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home