Really, I'm with the Band!!

Words, musings and rantings of a woman who married the bass player!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Grabbed the bull by the horns and took a wild ride. Needless to say, my back hurts a little.

Friday, November 05, 2004

Since I STILL feel this way...

The last thing I’d say.

Under siege
I see that we
Are under siege
From the news we
Read to the food we
Eat genetically engineered
To feed our hunger
Under siege and
In a cage trying
To maintain my
Rage about this
Helpless feeling
I’m reelin and wishin
I could believe my
Government controlled
Media and news
Gives me the blues and I cry cuz
I don’t understand why
No one else is
Outraged by
This genetically engineered
Experience called the
American dream, I have a
Dream, pieces of a dream
Scattered across my consciousness
Memories of freedom in Fragments
And I’m nauseous from the spinning
And grinning and faking that
Things are all right, despite what
I see before my eyes and feel in my
gut. Under siege
And pushed to extremes, a society
Mourning the loss of a carefree
Lifestyle. Towers fell and rubble
Troubled the hearts of
The untouchable ones
as the dust & debris
Settles around me,
it’s hard to see, just
Who’s the enemy?
Is it Bush or Osama?
Is it Saddam or my Mama?
Is it big businesses merging?
Or activists emerging with
Their own political agenda
Sending generically democratic vibes
Through a crowd of over
150,000 people on Saturday
afternoon. And I feel
Oppressed and Under siege
pushed to the
Extreme, I am looking for my
courage
To speak my truth, Speak and
Know I am heard. My words,
My power,
Taken in and considered.
Looked for strength hidden in
history looking back in
Time to find courage in the
Faces of filmed nonviolent
Protesters of the 60’s, tryin
To get secrets of survival
From those faces faced with
Hoses and barking dogs
Bearing teeth hungry for
The blood of civil rights,
And still they’d fight.
Fast forward to January 18, 2003
Nare a dog in sight in these
Streets baring teeth and breaking
Flesh on the leg of the oppressed.
Perhaps we are no longer a threat
To the powers that be. See While
Covert actions and tactics, slap
greasy white hands
with hundred dollar back
room handshake deals
This government has
Unknowingly cultivated a poetic
Rebel, reveling in her truth.
That rebel is me. At this
Point, I believe I’ve got
nothing left to
Loose. So still a little scared
I choose to speak. As if
Today was the last day to
Say what I might without being
Deemed a terrorist. Aware that
There is power in
my words
power that might bring
Pain to my body, I admit
I haven’t come to terms with
The dogs, or the hoses or the
idea of being taken into
custody, and no one knowing
where I am. But I understand that
I must stand
and say now if never again
“I do not support your war Mr. President”
“No Blood for Oil!!”

Shanta M. © 2003

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home